Thursday, September 27, 2007

What really grinds my gears...feel free to comment.

Do you know what really grinds my gears? Handshakes. Now not all handshakes are bad. When I meet someone new or bump into someone who's not, or never has been, an actual friend, I think the handshake is quite appropriate. Also if the handshake's purpose is to pull into a hug, there's nothing wrong with that. It's the handshake between friends that resembles two business partners shaking to close a deal. And those who shake this way don't just make it a greeting shake, but turn it into the "ahola" of greetings and use it for the goodbye as well.

What's wrong with this you ask? The problem is, I'm not your business partner, I'm not your colleague, and I'm not your friend's dad. I'm your friend, and friends hug. Now if you're one who's not keen on the hug, not a problem, a simple wave will suffice or just the word hello.

Up to now I've been silent and passive on the issue, but now that I've sent the warning, I'm also turning the tables. If you insist on greeting me in a way that makes me feel like my dad, I'll go ahead and one up you, go on offense, and also extend my left hand out for the "elbow grab". And who does the elbow grab you ask? Old people, that's who. So if you make me feel like my dad, then you're gonna feel like your grandpa. Now honestly it doesn't have to go there. Simply go in for the hug or the "howdy" whatever your pleasure. But please please please...no handshakes...

...and that's what really grinds my gears.

2 comments:

Jera said...

I am going to have disagree. I really like handshakes. They are the in between. Sometimes you aren't too the hug or don't feel it would be appropriate to be hugging every time you see a person, but a handshake is much less intense but not completely foreign.
I will agree it is something that older men do, but I don't think it is a sign of age or being formal. It is just a habit of the generation before ours and I happen to like it better.
I think it can be an indicator of the old soul, of which I am a big fan!

Anonymous said...

so pretty much you dont like things involving hands?


for those uncomfortable with hug hugs, i recommend the side hug...one arm, no frontal contact, just non-offensive sides...