Friday, August 3, 2007

Thoughts on the Lord's Prayer

This week we began discussing the Lord's Prayer (Matthew 6) and realized just how much meaning can be in a short little prayer crafted by Jesus himself. Thus, we only made it half way through discussing it. We decided should continue our discussion on this here blog:

Matthew 6:
9"This, then, is how you should pray:
" 'Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
11Give us today our daily bread.
12Forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.

Things to consider: praying for our daily needs, the manner in which God can forgive sin, the idea for praying specifically about sin before we even do it (or hopefully in turn will not!)

Jera's comments:
I am amazed by God. I know that is funny to say. Of course I should be amazed by God, but sometimes I forget just how amazing. He can forgive and forget sin just as quickly as me saying a short sentence for the some of the sins that I don't even realize I am doing. It takes me forever to forgive someone. Honestly, I am probably still working on some. So it blows my mind that my sins against God are of such a greater magnitude and there is no balance at all either. With friends or family, I can say "Oh well, I hurt them before too"; it is like it is even and we acknowledge we have all done each other some wrong. With God, there is none of that. He is constantly forgiving and I am constantly messing up. Then on top of it, he decides to let me be born in America and have more than enough to eat everyday. I have the opportunity to be picky about some foods. I am so blessed and yet, I come to God with prayers of need. I should constantly pray with thanksgiving for my forgiveness and all the blessings in my life. Like potting flowers....

I will stop for now, but please do share thoughts too! Either sign on or comment to this post! I can't wait to see what you all put up here!

2 comments:

Kevin G. said...

I think the part of this prayer that has been sticking out to me a lot lately is the part saying "your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven." It is so nuts to think that we could have Heaven on earth but we mock that idea every time we sin. Humanity unknowingly turns down the kingdom by putting money before God, by putting ourselves before others, by judging others and countless other examples. I wonder what would happen if even 7 percent of the world genuinely pursued the kingdom of God. I wonder how different our world would look. It's a daunting task to think about but God is bigger than us and if we rely more on Him I think we will see amazing things. Hope this doesn't depress yall, but rather motivates yall to consider what we can do to make earth more like Heaven. On a side note,if God's living quarters has dessert I bet there's some kind of brownies so I'm gonna try to make some good ones for Wednesday. Does anyone like cream cheese brownies or is regular ones a better idea?

Hannah said...

I could go for some cream cheese brownies! Great thoughts....Hannah