Thursday, October 4, 2007

What really grinds my gears...MODEST CATTLE EDITION

Do you know what really grinds my gears? The words that come out of my mouth. Let me setup the familiar situation. It's a good ole modest cattle Wednesday night study and we've read this week's passage, and have been asked a somewhat vague question about it. There's a good 30 seconds of silence when one brave sole (I'm rarely this person) comes out with an answer. Our group quickly starts warming up to conversation about the topic, and I decide I wanna contribute something significant to the conversation. After some deep pondering I come up with something that, in my head at least, seems to be very profound.

I thought that once this statement was made, it'd be so profound, that I'd expect everyone's faces to be glowing like Moses' as he came down from Mount Sinai. So after a little pause in the conversation, and a 2 second courtesy wait I speak my profound words of wisdom..."So when Jesus says love your neighbor...I think it means we shouldn't hate our...uh...neighbor"...wait...WHAT?!? What just came out of my mouth?...that was the dumbest thing I could have said...,Sadly though instead of cutting my losses...I keep going. "Um...what I meant was that...ya see...love is good, and hating is...uh...well, Webster defines love as the...um...Lisa, didn't you have something to say?"

Sad to say when it comes to making answers up on the spot...I'm what you'd call the anti-C S Lewis. I'm not always the best with...um...words. However it does remind me of what James says in the Bible about words...or I mean the tongue where when you say something, you can't...um...or your tongue can't take back the...er...I think it has something to do with putting toothpaste back in a tube or...oh boy...

...and that's what really grinds my gears.

1 comment:

Jera said...

Top notch Woosewoo. I have so done that before. I tend to be the first brave sole to speak up (or I ask the vague question in hopes that the group will just say what they want to say) and that is when I say something ultimately obvious. Oh to fill the silence though...